Sunday, February 14, 2010

Charlie's Truffle Mac Brings the Heat

Most of my reviews are glowing. that's probably because I have an insatiable taste for macaroni and cheese so I tend to lean towards liking it. I'm trying to break the habit so I can be a reliable reviewer. That being said, I do eat some mac n cheese that I don't like but I'm not inspired to review it. Charlie's Truffle Mac N Cheese at Street Car Charlie's in Ybor (Tampa, FL) does not fall into that category. I visit Ybor regularly but only recently found out that Charlie's had an exquisite Mac 'N Cheese. This is the second time I've had it and I have to admit that it wasn't as good as the first but it still lands itself on the Top 10 so far.

The Truffle Mac 'N Cheese is considered a "specialty appetizer" which means that it's not always offered but I've never had a problem getting it. It's served in a ceramic boat, piping hot. The main "body" cheese is very light and at first glance, watered down. As it cooled the cheese thickened. There is definitely more than a hint of "savory" obviously brought by the truffles. Unlike most baked Mac 'N Cheeses, the crispy top was not just bread crumbs. the topping was a tangy blend of heavier cheeses. probably parmesan or asiago. It was baked golden on the top. The portion size was average. Overall, I'd say that Street Car Charlie's Truffle Mac 'N Cheese is a thumbs up and pending an improvement in the consistency of the product I would call it a must have in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment